There always seem to be a few events each year that I learn about after the fact and that sound so cool I wish I had the ability to control time. Okay, that’s one special ability that could come in handy for any number of reasons.I’ve been told that Mardi Gras in New Orleans is one of those you-have-to-see-it-to-believe-it experiences. Actually, I’ve been told by a few people that even if you do see it you still might not believe all of it, but that’s another story entirely. As much fun as New Orleans might be, it’s not always easy to get away for a few days. And, even if you are able to get the time off, driving or flying 1300 miles can cost quite a bit of change. I mention all this because the Mardi Gras Weekend Celebration and Costume Party in Hammondsport is one event I learned about last year after it had come and gone, but this year I’m planning ahead. It might not be New Orleans, but it is accessible and affordable and from what I’ve been told the Village Tavern Restaurant & Inn throws an awesome party. They have Cajun food, live zydeco music, beads of course (I haven’t yet been able to determine if the methods for acquiring these beads are similar to those used in New Orleans, though I believe if you buy a ticket for the event you’re in luck), wine tasting, a parade, and an outrageously fun costume party.
In addition to already offering over 130 beers from around the world and one of the largest selections in the area of Finger Lakes wines by the glass, the Village Tavern offers ticket holders for this event a special Mardi Gras Wine Tour which consists of an escorted bus tour for tastings at Bully Hill Vineyards, Heron Hill Winery, Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars, Ravines Wine Cellars, and McGregor Vineyards. The tour culminates with lunch at McGregor Vineyards prepared by one of the Village Tavern’s chefs. Following the tour, you’re returned to the Village Square to take part in the parade, enjoy live music and the costume party.
According to the Village Tavern Web site, the winery tour is a prepay event so you’ll want to get your tickets ahead of time. For more information call 607-569-2528 or visit the Village Tavern Restaurant & Inn Web site. Tickets are available at $59.95 plus tax. Although the celebration runs from February 5th thru 7th, a special breakfast, the wine tour, parade, and costume party events are all on February 6th starting at 9am.
what a great group of attendees!!!
ReplyDelete