I love being outdoors as much as possible, but, let’s be honest, most of us get so caught up in our everyday lives (work, family, friends…any number of responsibilities we might have) that we’ve become pretty disconnected from nature. Chances are, however, if you live in Corning & the Finger Lakes it wouldn’t take too long to find someplace outdoors where you could visit with nature for awhile. And I know “Time” is one of those commodities we might feel we can’t just give away to go on some brief sojourn, but considering all the things we truly spend time doing during the course of the day, it’s also one commodity we’ve taken the value right out of. If the dollar is weak due to frivolous spending, time is even weaker.Think about how good it feels when you see a sunset or snow-covered trees or something as simple as spotting a deer as it forages for berries in a neighbor’s yard. These things can instill a sense of wonder, even if they only last a few seconds. Just imagine how taking a few minutes each day for something like that could feel.
I’ve recently rediscovered how simple it is to find a little time to reconnect with the world around me and how rewarding doing that can actually be. I suppose it’s easy to take for granted some of the most magical moments in nature because we aren’t often aware of when or where they take place. I mean, unless you have access to time-lapsed photography, chances are you won’t watch a seed germinate beneath the soil of the forest floor or along a woodland trail then push its way up into the open space above while anchoring itself in place. All you might notice are the colorful petals of the flower when it blooms. But, even then, how often do we really notice? There are so many incredible things going on every minute that we never pay attention to. Now, I have to admit, I’ve never seen a bird hatch (outside of an incubator), never witnessed a bear cub being born (and although there’s a pretty good chance doing so might be dangerous, it would also be pretty amazing). One of the wisest people I know recently said, “There’s something primal about witnessing a birth,” something that touches us at the core. Most of us might never have the chance to see a wolverine give birth, but there are other safe, natural wonders to witness here in Corning & the Finger Lakes, like lambing (or the birthing of baby sheep). I’ve never seen a lambing. As a matter of fact, I’d never even encountered the noun “lambing” until a few weeks ago. But I guess that’s the point: for me to encounter things to see and to do that I might not have encountered before and to share what I discover with those who read this blog (all three of you).
Right now, and until the end of February, there’s a good chance you might be able to watch a lambing. Farms, like Button’s Creekside B&B, allow guests who stay there the opportunity to see what it’s like living on a real farm (which includes enjoying a hearty breakfast, of course, as well as helping with sheep chores like feeding the sheep, and a tractor ride to get some hay or just to take a ride around the farm). But even if you aren’t staying at the B&B, you can still stop by the farm to look at the lambs. It’s best if you call ahead of time, but visitors are welcome to stop by the barn and look at the lambs. Even local Elementary School groups visit from time to time, though those visits also need to be scheduled.
Button's Creekside B&B Farm is located at 9705 County Rd 9, Cohocton, NY 14826. For more information about other interesting animals you can see in Corning & the Finger Lakes visit http://www.corningfingerlakes.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment