Tuesday, February 23, 2010

And Here I Thought The "Toe Pick" Was Just a Fun Way to Play Guitar

Here’s what I know for sure about ice: it goes clink-clink in a glass and it’s cold. Glaciers are actually made of the stuff and they somehow travel (like humungous, but very slow, nomads) over land, carving out, so to speak, things like lakes, gorges, waterfalls and valleys. Of course, sometimes big chunks of ice break off from glaciers and become icebergs which sink indestructible ships and also lead to some of the most profitable, romantic, and possibly cheesiest moments in cinematic history. Ice is also a tad bit slippery and can make moving (by car, horse, foot) practically impossible at times. It seems like the surest way to travel across ice is to ride a glacier. But where will that get you? The next best way to move over ice might just be skating.

But think about this: at some point back in time, a few thousand years at least, someone looked out over a frozen lake and said, “You know what? I think it would be fun to speed around out there, maybe make some figure eights, do a few jumps.” And he or she strapped animal bones to his or her feet and had at it. Okay, I don’t know if he or she was inspired as a result of trying to find something exciting to do during the frozen winter months, but that’s one reason people seem to skate today. And the Nasser Civic Center Ice Rink in Corning is one place you can ice skate from November 15th thru March 15th. You’ll find lessons, hockey clinics, adult and youth leagues and pickup games available, not to mention plenty of time to just skate for the fun of it. But winter in the Finger Lakes also means chances to skate outside on some of the ponds and smaller lakes (though unlike the skating rink, you do run the risk here of plunging through the surface and into the potentially deadly cold water). I’m not saying it isn’t wicked fun (actually, just using the word wicked in a post-1998 sentence is fun), but use your head and make sure the ice is safe before you venture out for an evening skate.

I have to admit, I’ve never been ice skating. Despite my athletic background, I do occasionally manage to tumble by merely walking, let alone being on razor-sharp blades, though I have always wanted to learn and do hope to get a lesson or two before winter has passed. Now, if falling up the escalator at the mall was an Olympic Event, I’d give Evgeni Plushenko something to write about.

Winter in Corning & the Finger Lakes means more than just ice skating for fun. Snowshoeing is something I recently discovered is a great time, especially if you’re with the right person and in the right spot. There are a number of excellent locations in Corning & the Finger Lakes that offer easily navigated and accessible trails for snowshoeing, hiking, sledding, and cross country skiing.

Here are some interesting facts about winter and winter fun:

Ice Skating

ShowShoeing

Cross Country Skiiing

Winter Survival

Himalayan Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment